bulbs of light

somewhere on the other side of the world a piano called me here, i was summoned. it told me, you, it said my name & i ran for miles and miles to find it and when i did i collapsed, i remember things turning a dull shade of yellow, like some magazine ad from the 60's.
i told the gravel to push me back up & it did and i smiled & wrote stories on it with sidewalk chalk, i climbed trees and swung from branches and kept the pine cones i found to give to you we could put tiny bulbs inside all of them and string them up like lights. you said "saeglopur" i said we'll find it everywhere we go, i said we'll follow the birds, my heart shook and so did your body and i thought we'd crack open the universe if we weren't too careful, that we could teach planets how to kiss their moons, my eyes were doing it right now, had their arms around one, watch me, i think, write this down. they say, all you talk about is birds, all you write about is shadows of hearts and season smells and the insides of people who want to be outside themselves but, it's all true and i just want to let you out. nothing left to do but aimless walking, lost sentences and fevers and clammy hands, i fall asleep thinking about how i always cheated in elementary school when we played 7 up and the bob dylan song that's stuck in my head keeps playing.

1 comment:

rollerfink said...

i love it best when you write about "shadows of hearts and season smells and the insides of people who want to be outside themselves"

so nice